Having a child will change your body. While you may be able to get back to your pre-pregnancy weight, your body will likely not go back to the same shape it used to be. However, a skilled and reputable plastic surgeon like Dr. Emile Brown will be able to restore your body using a mommy makeover procedure designed to target areas affected by childbearing. Here’s what to know about opting for this life-changing procedure.
What is a Mommy Makeover?
This term refers to a set of personalized cosmetic procedures that are designed to help women who are dealing with common childbearing effects. This can include aging of the breasts and body, as well as the labia. A mommy makeover can include non-surgical treatments, cosmetic surgery, or both. It’s often customized to your unique areas of concern.
What are the benefits of a Mommy Makeover?
Pregnancy can leave a lot of unwanted side effects behind, such as stretched abdominal muscles, sagging breasts, and excess skin. Many women become very discouraged when their bodies don’t go back to what they were before pregnancy, even when they follow a strict diet and exercise regimen.
Each patient comes to our facility with personal goals, which can include one or more of these treatment goals:
- Correct sagging breasts and restore volume
- Repair stretched or large nipples or areolae
- Improve the symmetry of the breasts
- Remove excess skin from the belly area
- Repair separated or stretched abdominal muscles
- Reduce fat that has been resistant to diet and exercise
- Repair stretched and loose labia
When is the right time for a Mommy Makeover?
Figuring out the right time for a mommy makeover is a decision that should be discussed between you and your plastic surgeon. However, there are a few basic factors that you will need to look at when you are thinking about undergoing a mommy makeover.
Consider the following:
- You will need to be 100% recovered from childbirth before having surgery.
- Women who are breastfeeding and considering breast surgery should always wait a few months after they are finished breastfeeding to have surgery. This allows the breasts to go back to their normal shape and size.
- Some non-surgical treatments, like injectables, are not recommended for breastfeeding mothers.
- It’s always better to wait until you are finished having children before you consider any surgical lifting procedures, such as a lower body lift surgery, tummy tuck, or breast lift.
Remember, you are not permitted to lift anything over 5-10 lbs. for a few weeks following your surgery. Make sure that you have someone to help you take care of your children, especially if they are still young.
Choosing Your Mommy Makeover Surgeon
This is one of the most important decisions you will have to make. Since mommy makeovers include multiple procedures in one surgery, you will need to ensure that your plastic surgeon is board-certified and experienced in each procedure before choosing them. You’ll always want to ask how many of these makeovers they have performed before. Look at before and after pictures. Pay close attention to women who had body shapes similar to your own and how they look now.
Remember, your results will depend greatly on your body and the type of procedures you choose. Normally, most women report feeling confident and comfortable putting on a bathing suit within the first three months after surgery.
If you are ready to schedule a consultation concerning your own mommy makeover, get in touch with our board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Emile N. Brown today. Our office is located in Baltimore, Maryland, and can be reached by calling or filling out our online form.
As a Baltimore native, board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Emile N. Brown is dedicated to providing high-quality cosmetic procedures to men and women in Baltimore and the surrounding areas. Dr. Brown earned his Bachelor’s degree from Duke University. From there, he entered medical school at the University of Maryland, where he graduated first in his medical school class.